Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Part of This World & Set Apart


An enlightening comparison struck me this morning as I was sitting in the UTC cafeteria. I was sitting alone, attempting to study for a test I had this afternoon, but rather found myself sitting back and observing fellow students as they ate, talked, and rushed past in a blur. Surrounding me were groups of close companions chattering, lovers, loners, and socialites flitting from table to table to complete their rounds of greeting friends. In the commotion of students, however, the main items of conversation voiced varied with speeches including how a girl should, "back-hand slap that !*#!@", or comments of, "you look bored", in addition to the exclamation of, "Hey, baby!" filling the air. Amidst these fleeting moments of observation, I turned to see the group of RUF (Reformed University Fellowship) guys sitting, eating, and enjoying fellowship with each other and the leader, providing a stark contrast to the general crowd as they appeared peaceful and contented. Everyone in the "general" crowd just came across as stressed, busied, bored, or boisterous. For once in my life,the Christian life made sense to me in this moment in relation to the standard of living in the world, but not of it.

From a personal standpoint, there I was, sitting alone amongst this mass of students watching and even occasionally mingling, but on the whole, I was separate from them and I could sense it. I could feel how my purpose then and there was to keep my concern on my own work and development rather than worry over the fact that I was sitting alone, single, with homework staring me in the face with no one to rescue me as is my wont. Now here's the odd part: I was /happy/ with my position this time. More than anything, I was simply excited just for the privilege to focus on the work God had for me rather than wallowing in self pity. True, it was still a bit of a lonely chore, but for once I didn't mind. I knew that nearby were fellow believers of a similar mindset whom I could rely on and relate to, whenever might be needed.

This all ties to a new understanding I now have as a result of the purpose of belonging in a solid church. In our weekly lives, God has something for each one of us, whether it be work in the office, bettering our minds in education, or even taking a day to relax. But through it all, we are watching the world go by; a world we're meant to serve and protect in every way possible, but not mold ourselves to. In addition, we are being watched, though we're rarely aware of it.

Every day, we face temptations of all sorts - drugs, sex, peer pressure, cussing, violence...even sleeping when we have a more urgent job to do. But once a week, we have the opportunity for revival and refreshment from these temptations plus an opportunity to commune with fellow Christians who face the same trials as we do and worship the God who gives us the necessary strength to overcome these selfsame trials.

Though attending church isn't always our first choice for that one day in a week when we have other options of often much-needed sleep, relaxation, time with friends, or even to catch up on a homework assignment due the next day, a presentation for the office, or work around the house or garage, it is much more of a necessity to attend church instead than we may realize. It is our chance to properly glorify God, state to the world who we are and Who we serve, fellowship with others of our belief, receive the encouragement or instruction we need to press on in the fight during the week, and better understand the character of God and His relationship with us.

As I was sitting and reflecting still, a gospel choir began performing a brief selection of praise songs. As soon as their voices were heard above the crowd, an especially brief hush fell over the throng of hustling and bustling students as all turned to see who these people were and what they were about. Once the phrase "hallelujah" escaped the singers' lips, most returned to their original occupations and tuned them out. A select few, including myself, however, stopped what they were doing, pulled out the earphones, looked on at the choir, and smiled. With these singers, it was obvious that they couldn't care less about how they stood out like a sore thumb with few heeding their songs. They were simply radiant with enjoying the music, the fellowship with each other, and praising God. I couldn't help but think that this was the attitude we should have each day as we go about our business - that of living each day as a song of praise, glorifying God in all we do, and shouting it to the world for all to hear whether they listen or no.

No comments:

Post a Comment